The Galactic Hunters

Lights from ... the Milky Way over Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory



This panoramic view was taken from Cerro Tololo in Chile within the world’s first dark sky sanctuary ‘Gabriela Mistral’. You can see from right to left the 4-m-Blanco telescope, and two SMARTS telescopes. Also, you can spot other telescopes on top of Cerro Pachon (SOAR, GEMINI S, and LSST), a flat mount in the background.
I have long dreamt of capturing the night sky under this angle. Each time I was thinking of astronomical observatories in my mind, I directly imagined this scene: the milky way standing over them, as if they were hunting the stars. Therefore this photo isn't a simple one for me since it is the result of more than 10 years dedicated to my passion. I love astronomy and particularly the technology used to study the wonders of our Universe. The feeling I had during that night was indescribable, I had tears in my eyes.

13-stitched-image panorama of 30 seconds, using a star tracker. It was challenging because I used a simple ballhead, and I had a fracture on my left hand just few days before...haha. Panorama is still a field I need to explore. 

Technical Details....

Canon Rebel T5i + Sigma Art 18-35mm f/1.8 lens + Star Adventurer MINI star tracker
→ Single 30 seconds exposure
→ ISO 3200
→ 18 mm
→ f/1.8
Softwares: Dxo Optics pro 9 for noise reduction / Lightroom for all the edits / Microsoft ICE for the final stitching.

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely composition, Guillaume! Pairing the telescopes with what they observe is great. Did you need special permit to get this close or can one just walk up to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much Jürgen ! Yes, entering into this area is restricted (closed gates). That night was special because ACEAP ambassadors were invited at CTIO. I was part of the EPO Team of the observatory to help them for the activities.

      Delete

Feel free to drop me a comment!